Saturday, December 13, 2014

Enliven Mama Africa Step One - Victory

      
           
 December 1, 2014 marks the largest day of accomplishment yet for Enliven Mama Africa. Maxwell Donkor, the EMA Director in Ghana, went to Besease and saw 14 single mothers be matriculated into the seamstress program of the Integrated Community Center for Employable Skills. The women and the community were overjoyed. I (Sarah Bibbey, the EMA Director in the USA), was able to witness their joy over Skype.

For me, the most beautiful part of the experience was hearing from the women I have known since the beginning. Rosina, Mavis, and Mary all gave me a touching personal thank you. It is because of the strength and determination I see in them that I have had the will to continue this project at all. I met them on an average afternoon in March 2013, and they shook my entire world. These women are ready to begin learning a new skill, something that can never be taken from them. They have waited long enough.

Please, if you are reading this, take a moment to celebrate. I thank you all for your generous support. You have supported Enliven Mama Africa financially, or you have supported me emotionally and spiritually. Thank you for sticking with us, though it's taken a year and a half to arrive here.

Also, as you celebrate, realize that our work is not finished. These 14 women have just begun their journey of learning, and we mean to stick by each and every one of them. 14 is a large number, but it is not nearly half of the single mothers in Besease alone, let alone the Ashanti region, Ghana, Africa, and even the world. We are in the progress of making a difference, and we've accomplished our vital first step.

1 comment: